top of page

We help you establish Paternity

Delaying a paternity case could result in permanent loss of father's rights.

In a paternity case, a party (usually either the mother or father) is taking legal action to determine the child's legal father. Paternity suits can be brought to establish child support, to establish custodial or parent-time rights, or for moral reasons. Our paternity attorneys are well-versed in Utah Paternity Laws, and can help you get the court orders that are needed and necessary. 

What if I'm not sure who the actual father is?

If there is a question about who the biological father is, the court will generally order a DNA test, which involves ordering both prospective parents and the child to be tested.

What if I believe a child is mine, but I delay filing a paternity case?

There can be grave consequences for unmarried biological fathers who do not take initiative and establish paternity. Under some circumstances, the unmarried biological father may have no rights to notice of an adoption, and his unvested rights to the child (called "incohate rights" until he establishes paternity) could be lost forever. This is one reason why it is imperative for an unmarried biological father to establish paternity as soon as possible.

The mother is pregnant and has not given birth. Should I file before the baby is born?

Yes. Filing early is the best way to preserve your rights. If you wait to file, you could lose parent-time rights until several months after you file your case. Therefore, if you wait until after the baby is born, the baby could be 3-4 months before you are able to get court-ordered parent-time.  

The SeegLawUtah attorneys are happy to evaluate your case to strategize and determine how is the best way to bring your paternity case. Please call us at 385-404-0725 to schedule your appointment.


Marriage Dissolution

Dissolving the marriage is the primary purpose of getting a divorce.


Child Custody

If the parties have children, the court will have to enter orders regarding child custody. Joint custody is most common, but courts will award one party sole custody in many circumstances.


Property Division

If there is marital property, which is property acquired during the marriage, the court will need to divide it.


Alimony/Spousal Support

If a marriage is longer-term, and there is a disparity of income, alimony will probably be a consideration.


Child Support

There are strict requirements about the child support meeting the Utah guidelines, but there are some circumstances where the court will deviate from the guidelines.

bottom of page